weakty

I've kicked off my first quarterly project - to build a game. It's going ok, but as I suspected, returning to my day job has been a small reality check in how much time I have to spend on projects. I got a bit ahead of myself with all the free time I had over the Christmas break.

With that said, Visitor, as I'm calling it, is underway. It's a game about a roving piece of light that interacts with other pieces of light in space. That would be the most literal description I've given it, as I tend to think of it much more abstractly.

The first week and a bit was comprised of writing up notes on what would need to be done, as well as a bit of drawing and sketching.

Things to be done.

There's lots to do. Too much for 3 months, to be honest.

Starting out, the game will only be for mobile. Below, I've got a sketch of how I might approaching the generation of the game's background. As a player moves through space, the stars need to move behind them. Rather than make one very very very large canvas of stars, I'm thinking I will need to generate the stars that are just outside the reach of the player, so that when the player leaves the current background they move into a newly existing background with a new set of stars.

On the outset, this will work fine - but that means there will be ld be a cool feature.

This problem is a bit hard to wrap my head around as I get re-acquainted with Godot. I have a single background rendering, but now I need to figure out how to dynamically move and/or spawn ones.

proto-proto-typing.

There was an initial reluctance on this project as I've already hit some walls on the outset, but I'm happy to be coding on something multidisciplinary and to take a break from building commandline programs.