This week I continue with bits of emacs puttering during spare bits of time. Each day, I progressively add a bit more to my personal config, picking and choosing pieces of what I want from Doom-Emacs. I haven't gotten to a point where I'm really making my own customizations — but today I had a small realization that delighted me.
As I putter away on my static site generator for this obsidian vault, I have to do the same commands over and over to test as I develop. And while there is no Rust-Repl, developing has become pretty quick. Since I'm still developing in Doom emacs while I build my other config, here's what I currently do:
- Make a change in the rust codebase
- recompile the program by pressing
SPC m bto run
- open my terminal and run
rm -rf ~/Sync/notes/_esker/to remove the previous site that I generated
target/debug/esker new -d ~/Sync/notes/to create a new site
**target/debug/esker build -d ~/Sync/notes/to buidl the site
- inspect how things are looking in a simple http-server for the files.
I try not to introduce any automation into a project until I see I'm doing the same commands again and again. So, after a few separate sessions of working on the program I realized it was time to automate that (and while the current process was pretty fast, it was still getting a bit annoying).
First, I set about creating a makefile that would do each of the individual pieces; then I remembered you can send strings to the shell, and wouldn't it be great to bind a single key command to do steps 1-5?.
So here's my simple solution: I have a make command [^1] that runs steps 1-5, and then I add this to my project directory (and add it to
;;; .bindings.el (general-define-key :states '(normal visual) :prefix "SPC" ;; top level "J" '(:ignore :which-key "Project specific bindings") "J j" #'(lambda () (interactive) (shell-command "make wt"))
Now, when I'm developing the project, I evaluate the buffer [^2] above and can then press
SPC J j to do… everything for me!
And while this isn't anything particularly interesting, it is a small quality of life improvement that delights me! Things like this also make working with a compiled language so much faster.
[^1]: I also realize that I could just run all the commands directly from emacs, and don't even need a make file.
[^2]: I'm pretty sure I can use a
.dir-locals file, although I couldn't quite find a straight answer on how to setup keybindings using it. So, I opted for the simple solution of just evaluating the buffer when I have the project open.